Sunday, May 13, 2012

Wombat 50km Race, Woodend, Vic - April 22


Overnight storms had changed what was reported as a dry and dusty course for the 2012 Wombat MTB race. With about 470 starters for the 50km event the organisers had arranged a staggered start with 5 minutes between each group. I sat at the back of the first group as we took off, the results from the transponder showed that I was 64th across the start line. The first 3 km was vehicle track of a gentle climb which I used to make a few moves through the field. Upon sighting the entry into the first set of single I track I made a surge past a few other riders to dive into the single track a little further up the mountain bike train. Any exposed roots were slippery and most corners had pooled any water from the night before, so the going was cautious. There was plenty of challenge for all, the early single track had a generous mix of off-camber traverses and short pinch climbs with some finding the switchback climbs too difficult to ride. Whenever the single track spilled back onto a vehicle track I took the opportunity to pick off some more places. By the 10km mark I had settled into my own pace and found myself with 3 others all holding a similar pace. From this point we were free to tackle the  descents as quick as we dared as there was no other traffic. There were plenty of sketchy corners and some slippery drops that made for some elevated heart rate spikes as we worked together. Two of the other guys seemed pretty busy with the task at hand but Jim Hsu was throwing back as many comments as I was putting out there as any of us got out of shape or cleaned a technical section. The course included a couple of long timber slatted, north-shore style bridges to keep us on our toes, both spanning some pretty deep gullies. Fortunately they were lined with chicken wire to provide some faith in traction across the wet timber slats. 

Some more longer stages of forest road saw Jim with stronger legs slowly slip away, but I was able to get back on his wheel again next single track, and by the midway feed zone he and I were out on our own (the other two had fallen behind and out of sight). We chatted a bit whilst picking our way through the course and along the roads, I hadn't met Jim Hsu before but knew of him from past enduro seasons. It was good to share some tales and to have a distraction from any of the less exciting sections. By the 15km to go my legs were starting to send signals of having been working and there was no way I could hold Jim's wheel on the gradual open forest road climbs. 

With 10km to go one of the other two had caught back up to me. He didn't have much to say as we pushed the remainder of the race out, but seemed similarly grateful for the 10km To Go sign. 5km to go and the course threw out some more single track so I made a burst for front wheel on that. The final 2 km was fire road with a gradual climb leading to a descent to the finish line. The other guy got me on the climb and then I tucked in behind for the descent home. 
I crossed the line at 2hrs 31min, 2nd veteran home and 6th overall, a little over 7 minutes behind the winner. 

Becs had also taken the 50km challenge, and reported zero stacks for the course. This coupled with Becs consistently improving skills and fitness brought her home first in the Womens Sub-Veteran category. An awesome result on a course that would have been daunting for her 12 or 18 months ago!! In summary, it was a successful day for both of us.

The bike never complained!

No comments:

Post a Comment